- ~ Steve Babitsky, Chief Judge of SEAK, Inc.’s National Fiction Writing Competition for Physicians
“Childs has created a masterful work of medical suspense that I couldn’t put down. The Boys of the Dixie Pig is a hands-down winner!”
- "I so loved Stacy Childs' first book, Block 10, and was excited to see that he had another book out. And it did not disappoint! So many twists and turns -- left you guessing to the very end. And even then, there was one final twist! I loved all "the boys" in this book -- there's nothing like old friends (even if maybe we don't quite know some of them as well as we think we do!). A story of friendship, a medical thriller, a page-turner and just a darn good read -- keep 'em coming, Stacy!"~ Donna Jo
- I don’t know if this novel was meant to be funny, but Stacy Childs had me laughing like a loon. The Boys of the Dixie Pig is awesome; there is no other word to describe it. The story is engaging, attractive and engrossing. You will not be able to put it down. Plus, Mack is an amazing character. I wish we had men like him in real life~ Rabia Tanveer for Readers' Favorite
- Happy~ Jenn, "Momma on the Rocks" Blog
WednesdayThursday! This week’s pick for What I’m Reading Wednesday is The Boys of the Dixie Pig by Stacy Childs. What a fun, wild ride it was!! I’m seeing it touted as a medical thriller, but while one of the two main storylines has a medical bent not far off of what you might see with Robin Cook, I’d likely classify it as a thriller, plain and simple. Ok, so I mentioned there are two storylines: the first centers around Mack Barton, a sixty-something weapons dealer who lives under the radar in his motor home and has a love for Don Julio Añejo tequila and gambling. There is a Vegas mob boss after him for an unpaid gambling debt, and the CIA is after him because of a recent weapons deal that apparently supplied the wrong side. Oh, and there enough mentions of Don Julio Añejo that you may mistake it for a minor character. Meanwhile, one of his close friends from childhood (part of the titled group of boys that hung out at a restaurant called the Dixie Pig) has gone from a weak, awkward child to a successful physician/psychiatrist and head of a high-tech cryonics company. The interestingly named “Ace Strain” invites Mack and the rest of the gang to (Willie, Donnie and Goody) to his visit him and show off his business – and offer them, when it is time, the opportunity to be cryogenically frozen as well. Ace also introduces them to an employee of his who has been frozen and reanimated, and through whom they discovered a remarkable side benefit…but you’ll have to read to find out what it was. Mack Barton’s character is my favorite; Childs has created a character that, by definition, is a “bad guy” – a tequila swilling, gun shooting, un-remorseful weapons dealer – who comes across like a good old guy with a soft spot for a mean-as-hell failed guard dog. The cryonics storyline – as incredulous as you may be – is the one that will have your jaw dropping, as there is more to it than what the boys are told. Childs keeps the two storylines running at full speed and works in a whopper of a twist that will have you hanging in there until the end. There is a good deal of violence, because hello, weapons dealers and Mob bosses, but it wasn’t overwhelming or gratuitous. If you like a thriller with a good dose of humor, this is for you. I think fans Robert Ludlum “The Road to Omaha” will love this book as much as fans of Robin Cook (because the cryogenics aspect will really stretch you and make you think.) The Boys of the Dixie Pig is written by Stacy Childs and published by Crossroad Press, and is available now on Amazon.com and other booksellers. Stacy Childs can be found online at Twitter as @ and at www.stacychilds.com.
- The Boys of the Dixie Pig by Stacy Childs is a book full of action. From the opening scene itself, the tension begins, driving one to turn the page the instant one is about to catch the last line. Almost all the descriptions, especially action, have a smooth flow, as can be seen in this example: “He gasped, and the box leaped from his hands and fell to the deck below. He leaned over the rail and watched as the head rolled aft, and the box was caught by the wind and soared upward and overboard.” Although I maintained serious doubts about a plausible ending, the author has convincingly brought the story to a fitting end. Each and every character of this story plays a part that constantly adds to the crescendo, with the reader always kept on his toes. This is a fantastic novel; the characters, the setting and the style are worthy of setting benchmarks for others to follow.~ Roy T. James for Readers' Favorite
- "This is a "Must Read"... You will be thoroughly entertained! When I read author Stacy Childs' first novel, Block 10, I was very impressed by this author's first offering. It was a gripping tale of an Olympic caliber skier turned Doctor, and was incredibly engaging with lots of twists and turns. It is a very well written thriller that will surprise you at every turn. If you haven't read it, do yourself a favor and do so! Stacy's second novel, which I recently finished, The Boys of the Dixie Pig, is an incredibly impressive novel as well. I was amazed that Childs could author another such engaging tale, without any similarities to the first novel, other than the fact that they are both very creative and totally entertaining works. The Boys of the Dixie Pig proved to be an intriguing reunion of five high school buddies, and features excitement and action, love and lust, complexity and coincidence, as well as murder and mayhem! This well written account of the "Troughers", is sure to entertain you and stimulate your imagination. The author provides a continuous, fast paced series of events that will keep you engaged from beginning to end. WOW! I just loved it! I can't wait for the next Stacy Childs novel!"~ Thomas Meyer
- "Having loved this author's first book, I couldn't wait to read his second. I was not disappointed! It is so well written and again the character development is wonderful. In the beginning, I felt as though I knew those guys, but then it all changed! I just could not put it down! Read all day and into the night."~ Jane M. Stockton
- ~ Ronnie "Mack" Bowyer, Houston TX
"The Boys of the Dixie Pig is a gratifying depiction of good and evil and the subtle difference. Childs has taken five known personalities and woven them into a miraculous and incredible tale of friendship, revenge, murder and lust. I am happy to have been a part of this story, and thank God it is all fiction!"
- ~ Robert Dugoni, New York Times and #1 Amazon Bestselling Author, and author of My Sister’s Grave
"I enjoyed Stacy Childs’ debut novel, Block 10, and immediately became a fan. The Boys of the Dixie Pig is better. It displays Childs’ versatility within the medical thriller genre with a rapid-fire story that seems too fantastic to be true, but which sucks you in from page one and doesn’t let you go until the final word. I couldn’t put it down. Mack Barton is sure to become the Jack Reacher of medical thrillers."
- The story is a Medical Suspense Thriller genre, very well written by an M. D. It was intriguing, captivating, suspenseful, thrilling, and with lots of twists and turns. The characters are well developed during the story, showing their flaws as well as their attributes. The story is about five friends: Donnie, Grady, Willie, Ace, and Mack, but mainly focuses on the latter two (Ace and Mack). It was almost like there were two separate plots, which confused me a bit at the beginning. One was Ace's cryonics business, and the other focused on Mack being a weapons dealer, while running from a man named Rudy to whom he owed money. At times it felt a little strange because it moved from sketchy science practice and mental manipulation to watching Mack avoid assassination over and over again, though in reality it was all technically connected. Colombian gun runners and mob hit men would prove the least of Mack's worries as he and his companions face intrigue, death, romance, and the question of reincarnated sports stars, caught up in a crazy chain of kidnapping, murder and insanity. Nevertheless, the mystery of the cryonics business and Mack's crazy lifestyle kept me intrigued until the very end. I highly recommend this book or any other written by Stacy Childs!~ Claudia
- "5 stars! Definitely an intriguing read. Stacy's suspenseful way of writing had me hooked from cover to cover."~ Samuel Sheer